Mental Health in present scenario of COVID-19 cannot be ignored
The present scenario of COVID-19 has limited our lives too much. Depression and anxiety is developing in us because staying indoors becomes claustrophobic.
We are all shocked by the sudden demise of Bollywood film actor Sushant Singh Rajput. According to reports, it was revealed that he was battling depression for the last six months and was taking treatment for that. But nobody knows the real reason why he attempted suicide at such an early stage. This incident reflected the importance of good mental health and the well-being of individuals.
The college recently organized a live session on Facebook on 16th June 2020 to discuss the role of mental health in the existing time of the Corona crisis particularly the psychosocial issues that have emerged as the result of the pandemic. This is the reason behind Arya College Jaipur ranking in India and its counting among the top 10 private engineering colleges. Recently our panel of experts included renowned doctors from all over India who expressed their views on the topic.
- Dr. Arvind Agarwal (MBBS (CU) India, MD – Psychiatry, USA) President – Arya Group Of Colleges
- Dr. Vimal Kumar Sharma (Prof. Of Global Mental Health Research- Univ. of Manchester)
- Dr. Sanjay Jain (Sr. Prof., Dept. of Psychiatrist, SMS Medical College, Suprident Psychiatric Centre, Jaipur
- Dr. Kusum Gaur (Sr Prof. Community Medicine, SMS Medical College, Jaipur (Raj,)
- Dr. Lokendra Sharma (Sr. Prof. Pharmacology Coordinator. ADR Monitoring Center, SMS Medical College, Jaipur Under PvPI, India)
- Dr. Anil Sharma (MD, MBA) Assistant Clinical Professor UCLA School of Medicine Dept Of Psychiatry Los Angeles, California, USA)
- Dr. Divya Sharma (Medical Officer, CO Investigator, NMHS – Rajasthan, Psychiatric Centre, SMS Medical College, Jaipur)
Being adults, we understand that depression can occur at any stage and students can also get affected by this. Thus, the discussion was highly informative and all the experts suggested that we should always keep a positive outlook. We should have a progressive attitude for better mental health.
Impact of lockdown and pandemic conditions on mental health in the present scenario of COVID-19
Although the lockdown has been opened to some extent, still the last two to three months created an atmosphere of uncertainty and fear in the minds of people. For an instance, professionals and workers employed in various sectors are experiencing extreme mental pressure as companies are laying off employees due to a shortage of funds to pay salaries.
All the experts in the live discussion emphasized that proper counseling and interaction should be maintained with such individuals who have recently shown symptoms of the initial stage of depression. As the top engineering college in Jaipur, we are also aware of the fact that many fresh graduates who are job-ready are not able to find jobs in the market.
Consequences of bad mental health
All this creates tension and pressure in the young mind and provokes them for suicidal attempts due to the present scenario of COVID-19. Moreover, health professionals who are fighting with Corona and facing stressful conditions might also experience depression to some extent.
The entire discussion was very interactive and on behalf of the college, we thank the prestigious panelists who joined the live session and expressed their views on how we can attain optimal mental health during tough times in the present scenario of COVID-19. We are known to deliver quality education that offers quality placements to students in top multinational companies.